Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Postcards

I've started collecting postcards of Ontario that I hope will eventually act as complimentary images for my thesis stories. I found it very difficult to find modern postcards that show areas of the suburban landscape and artifacts that I am writing about, so I went looking for older postcards. In this endeavor I discovered an entire world of enthusiasts that would put stamp collectors to shame. I began my search at Southworks Antique market, where I found the following postcards dating from 1906 to the mid 1970s.


Chatham St. Brantford, Ontario. 1906


Wellington St. London, Ontario. 1906


Divine St. United Church. Sarnia, Ontario.


Callander, Ontario.


High School. Timmins, Ontario. 1945



Post Office. Parry Sound, Ontario.


Station Mall. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.


This past Sunday I went to a Postcard and Paper Show where I was at first overwhelmed and then fascinated with the people and the massive number of old postcards available to look through. After perusing a few tables and stumbling over my answer to "which area are you looking for?" I ended up spending four hours flipping through postcards from Ontario at ten different tables, finally finding the response, "I'm looking for a time period, not a specific place." That time period is between the 1940s and 70s. Here is what I acquired.


Galt, Ontario. 1906


Victoria Avenue. Windsor, Ontario.


Haliburton, Ontario. 1953




General Motors' South Plant. Oshawa, Ontario.


First enclosed Mall in Canada. London, Ontario.


Sunset Motel & Shell Gas Station. Renfrew, Ontario.


Sioux Lookout, Ontario. 1967


St. Thomas Assembly Plant. Talbotville, Ontario.


Holiday Inn. Oshawa, Ontario.


Shopping Plaza. Ajax, Ontario. 1975


Campbell Red Lake and Dickenson Mines. Balmertown, Ontario. 1975


Thorold Tunnel. Thorold, Ontario.


Esso Centre. White River, Ontario.


New Civic Centre. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. 1980


Cambridge, Ontario. (1980s)


Bruce Nuclear Power Development. Tiverton, Ontario


No comments:

Post a Comment