Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Assignment - Thesis Dangers

I don't know if my thesis has dangers so much as things that I'm afraid of. Such as the ever-present question of "How does it relate to architecture?" Telling stories about the suburbs and what goes on there doesn't make my thesis architectural. Just because the suburbs are a highly disputed area of building doesn't make narratives using them as a backdrop relevant. I want to show something of the suburban life and landscape that I think the majority of critics and urbanites don't see or consider. It's not all tract housing with 2+ SUVs per dwelling and miles of asphalt winding towards nothing. There are other aspects of suburbia that only the people who live there ever get to see. Also, this has been done before. There are hundreds of books, plays and movies made about the suburbs. I'm afraid that I won't be able to show anything new or interesting.
Another danger or something I'm afraid of is the pressure to answer a question. The current question of what to do with the suburbs on a grand scale. I feel that that question is a huge design problem that cannot be answered satisfactorily in a Master's Thesis. It is a problem for the next entire generation of architects and designers, and I don't want to attempt to answer it in my thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment